Skip to main content

Nomination Papers Show Friedt and Paras Share Same Campaign Manager


Since I wrote my first blog on mayoral candidate Jami Paras' failed attempt to get the Peace River Minor Hockey Association to launch legal action against the Town over the borrowing bylaw for the arena, one of the major questions that has emerged is whether or not candidates for council are truly running as independents, or whether there is some kind of voting bloc, coalition or coalitions operating behind the scenes.

When I had first asked Paras in our interview about the leaked email whether he had mentioned any other candidates, he had stated he didn't, which was at best only partially true. While he didn't mention anyone by name, he did mention in the leaked email that he had “2-3 other candidates” and was looking for more of the “right people”. The implication seemed to be that if he won he would not be only a single vote on council, and had others who would vote with him.

His public note of support for Bryon Schamehorn and Chelsey Friedt, posted to his page on August 25, just days after he sent the email, raised the question of whether these candidates were the two he was referring to in the email.

In his public written apology on Facebook a few days ago, Paras denied it was those candidates, stating that, “The possible candidates that l had spoken with were not part of this letter, and decided not run for their own reasons with no mention of this to them. I respect and now realize how dirty things can get. They are private citizens and aren't involved. The right people to me means Councillors who listen to the people and there are a number of those on this ballot.”

Schamehorn has also been adamant that he did not know about the email, and I updated my original post to include his comments denying any knowledge of the scheme, despite his family connections to Mr. Paras. I did not, however, hear directly from Friedt.

Since this was the question that seemed to be on everyone's minds and had already earned me my second threat of a legal action by Schamehorn for posting the statement of support Paras had made for him and for Friedt, I decided to take a look at the nomination papers of each candidate and see what they might reveal about possible alliances.

Please note that the nomination papers for all of the candidates are open to viewing by anyone in the public simply by contacting CAO Christopher Parker, so you're welcome to go take a look yourself at any time if you don't want to take my word for what they say. If you'd like more information on how nomination papers work, you can review Alberta's guide for municipal candidates.

Nomination papers do show a direct tie between council candidate Chelsey Friedt and Mayoral candidate Jamie Paras. Friedt's husband and First Baptist Church Reverend Nathan Friedt is listed as her campaign manager, which is not surprising. But the nomination papers also show that Nathan Freidt is listed as Jami Paras' campaign manager as well. 

Of course, they do all attend the same church. (Schamehorn also performs there and used to be on the First Baptist church council, according to his bio on his official FB page.) As part of the same congregation, they would know each other and may share similar values.

Sharing a campaign manager, however, is not as easy to write off as simple civic-mindedness as just signing nomination papers may be. A campaign manager is usually responsible for directing strategy behind-the-scenes, organizing volunteers, making decisions on where to spend money or donations and tracking expenses, helping handle any new issue or crisis that comes up, and helping determine the candidate's messaging, among many other possible tasks. 

I contacted Friedt directly to get her comments.

“This is quite common knowledge,” she told me over Facebook message.

“I’ve already stated I had no idea about the letter nor would I have supported it. I have no kids who play ice sports so a second arena is not really an issue for me at all.”

When I asked why her husband was managing both her own campaign and Paras', she refused to answer and simply directed me to ask her husband Reverend Friedt.

When I contacted Reverend Friedt via email, he said he was unable to reply until Monday due to other pressing commitments (a funeral and a weekend conference). I did offer to quote a short emailed statement if he preferred in lieu of a full interview, but he did not provide one.

Having been involved in many elections both as a candidate and volunteer, I do find it unusual for the campaign manager for two different candidates to be otherwise committed the days immediately before the election rather than campaigning, since those are obviously the most important time to get out the vote. However, I don't doubt the duties of a Reverend to his church and community are important.

Monday being the election, though, that may be a bit too late for many voters to learn his response.  I will still update with his comments if he provides them at that time.

I also contacted Jami Paras directly, and when he responded he refused to answer other than simply directing me to his Record-Gazette profile. That profile, of course, makes no mention of his email to PRMHA or to his campaign manager.

With no real comment from any of the people involved, I guess it's up to voters to ask or decide what it may imply that two candidates who claim to be independent share the same campaign manager.

In terms of the other candidates, nomination papers for council candidate Richard Wesolowski were signed by both former Mayor Lorne Mann and Phyllis Mann.

Wesolowski is a somewhat controversial candidate himself, a former councillor who was convicted of forgery in 2004 and sentenced to six months probation for cashing a $4,645 cheque that was not meant for him. Concerned citizens have posted the article on the conviction to Facebook and have been discussing whether something that happened over a decade ago is still relevant to character.

Don Good, having been around the political block before and likely guessing inquiring minds would take a look at the nomination forms, made a post to Facebook over the weekend regarding the question of whether there was some sort of  “conspiracy”, and denying that signing nomination papers meant anything in terms of political support.

“I signed Jami Paras's election nomination papers and to be honest I don't remember if he signed mine. If he did I'm Ok with that too. And just to clarify, if Tom or Sherry had asked me to sign theirs I would have also. I get along, I think well, with both of them. They didn't ask. To me, signing a nomination paper is not an endorsement, it's just helping a person who wishes start on the process of running for council. I enjoyed and appreciated my time on council and learned an incredible amount. Heck, I'll help anyone who wishes to join in that journey, gladly.”

He then went on to tell of the kindness and business advice he has received from both Jami and his father Elgar, and noted his own 12 years on council and other service.

As he openly stated, Good did sign Jami Paras' nomination papers. Good's own nomination papers were signed not by Jami but by Elgar Paras, James Paras' father. They were also signed by Byron Schamehorn, which he “confessed” to in his own FB comments on Good's post.

“The last few days have been difficult for me and my family. In the process of trying to protect my reputation I have had to focus solely on Jami's actions relating to once circumstance. I have had to be critical, even harsh. For that I'm sorry. My criticism is toward his actions and not his person. While I can't condone what he did I can say he's a good man, husband and father. My daughter was away at Bible Camp and Angela and I wanted to re-do her room as a surprise for when she came back. Jami lent me his tools to finish the job. No questions asked. He and his family have put a lot of time into Peace River. They've fixed up a building down-town in a way that many of us wish to see happen to empty buildings that we pass by every day. Lise is always at school, hockey and gymnastics events to name a few. Good people sometimes make bad decisions and I'm truly no different as I've erred since announcing too. Thank you Don for being the stand-up guy you are.”

He concluded, “I also have another confession to make before the end of my comment and it is that I signed Don's nomination papers as well, and when I say confession I mean I was honored to do so.”

The nomination papers show this is true. Schamehorn's nomination papers, meanwhile, were signed by major figures in the community such as Stephen Woodburn, Shelly Sorensen, and Jonathan Pittman, but not Paras.

“Don Good you are so correct in stating that just because someone signs your nomination papers does not mean that they are endorsing you,” Sherry Hilton wrote in her own comments on Good's post.

“Two years ago, during the provincial election, I ended up meeting the Wildrose candidate while he was in town and he needed more signatures for his nomination papers. I gladly signed them. I was running AGAINST this man so my signature was in no way an endorsement to vote for him. I was just being a decent human being. I truly hope that Chelsey Friedt and Byron Schamehorn's campaigns are not affected negatively by the errors made by Jami Paras. That would be truly unjust."

Hilton did not mention whose papers she had signed herself. Her nomination papers show that she signed the papers for Anna Aleksov, and Anna signed hers in return.

Aleksov is perhaps best known for her previous experience with the Town as Executive Assistant to former CAO Kelly Bunn, who was let go and is currently suing the Town for money he feels he was owed as per his contract. Aleksov stopped working for the Town not long after. 

I'll be posting another blog on the current state of that lawsuit shortly based on the most recent judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any news tips or information, and as always I welcome any comments and am happy to arrange interviews should anyone want to give their side of the story or give updated comments or information. 

I also want to note I don't endorse anyone, and don't have a vote in Town. I do, however, care what happens there as my children go to school there, and I have lived and worked and volunteered in the Town off and on for many years. My family has considered Peace River our hometown since 2000 when we first fell in love with it and moved into the blue townhouses. I do care a lot about Peace River and the people of the community and I think I always will. It might have been drinking the water, but I think it's more the beauty of the place and the caring community that have won my heart. 

If you're wondering about my writing background, I have worked as a staff reporter over the years for the Mile Zero News, the Smoky River Express, the Peace Country Sun, Art of the Peace, theVault, and more, and have also published freelance articles in AlbertaViews, eye in Toronto, and many more. My specialty was always social and political issues. My degree is in English Literature and my life's passion will always be writing in one form or another. I am currently working on a book.

Should ANY candidate or councillor be involved in something that can be proven and is not ethical, anywhere in the Peace, I am more than willing to research and cover the issue. A writer and journalist's job is to research and tell stories, and that is what I aim to do. What you decide to do with that information is ultimately up to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lithium Boom Could Put Northern Alberta Oilfields At the Forefront of the Green Energy Revolution

A little while ago, a meme circulated showing a comparison between a lithium mine and an oilsands operation. The point of the meme was supposed to be that oilsands operations are more environmentally friendly than lithium mines, which produce the lithium necessary for the rechargeable batteries used for electric cars and other "green" products.  Like many political memes, however, the images chosen and the point this meme made was mostly fake . The image of the “lithium mine” was actually an open pit copper mine, and the image of the oilsands was an in situ process, much more photogenic than the Fort McMurray oilsands which some people have infamously compared to Tolkein's Mordor . The funny thing is, it also turns out our local oilfields are actually one of the best places in the world to find lithium. Just like natural gas used to be, lithium-rich brine is a waste product of Alberta's oil operations. That means mining lithium in Alberta doesn

But His Email: Why Did Mayoral Candidate Jami Paras Ask the Minor Hockey Association to Sue Peace River?

Peace River is just as passionate about hockey as you'd expect for a small northern Canadian town. That's why debates over the new multiplex , which is being built in town as we speak, have been raging across local Facebook forums. Some residents want a second ice surface; some wonder why more space wasn't allocated for the arts, or different user groups; some worry about increased taxes to cover the cost of the construction. With the municipal election upon us, the arena has become a bonafide election issue. The candidate who is perhaps the most responsible for stoking the controversy over the arena is mayoral candidate James (Jami) Paras , who has been publicly questioning the design of the new arena since at least 2014 and has suggested the old arena could still be used as a second ice surface . However, in the course of these public conversations about ice, a more important question has emerged. It's a question that deserved a fair hearing at the candida